Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Mercedes 450SL Muffler Comparison

Not all things are created equal and often times, you get what you pay for and hindsight is generally 20/20, and this is what I discovered about aftermarket mufflers for the Mercedes-Benz 450SL.




After having done considerable research on the Bosal and Ansa 450SL mufflers, I felt reassured that the Bosal would provide the best OEM exhaust note according to the representative I spoke with. It should be noted that in no way am I criticizing either manufacturers quality, durability, materials, craftsmanship etc. The issue at hand is simply based on tailpipe sound or "note", both at idle and under exhilaration. In fact, both manufactures seemed to have very well made products in both fit and finish.

When the Bosal muffler was installed however, I was extremely disappointed at how loud and throaty the car sounded, far from the OEM note I was reassured to get. Interior noise was excessive, and at speeds between 40-55 mph, a very unpleasant drone resonated throughout the cabin.

With this discovery, I contacted Ansa and discussed the current dissatisfaction, and was told I would receive an OEM note from their muffler. In short that was not the case either. Indeed a different note was delivered, but that much closer to an American muscle car on steroids and again generating a very unpleasant tone in the cabin. While I have no problem at all with the exhaust note of a muscle car, I want my Mercedes to sound as it should, and as the manufacture intended.  


Photo shows underside of 1975 450SL with aftermarket muffler

This takes us back to the drawing board with one last option, the $500 OEM muffler from Mercedes-Benz. Yes, in the end it would have been much less expensive to do this from the beginning, but some of us need to learn the hard way. 

All this said, if you are looking to ramp up your exhaust note on your 450SL, either the Bosal or Ansa would be the way to go, and does indeed offer a good price point. If however, original is what you are looking for, the Mercedes OEM muffler is the only option.



No comments:

Post a Comment