Thursday, August 3, 2017

Restoration 107 - Trim Removal - Part 1

With the color scheme decided for the interior and exterior, it is now time to get the 450SL ready for the body shop.

Several weeks ago I finalized the shop that will be doing my work. I also received my final estimate and with it came two options. The first, deliver the car as is, and let the body shop strip the trim, and interior or, option two, do the interior and trim removal personally. 

The latter is what I am choosing to do as it will save $3,000+ thousand dollars. I have also chosen this option so I can personally go through every piece of the car myself and see exactly what needs to be replaced, fixed, restored, etc. as the parts come off. This option will also give me time to redo the many interior parts, such as recovering the seats, restoring the center console, dash and other interior trim pieces that will be taking on the new interior color.

Over the next several weeks, photos of parts being removed will be uploaded of each section. In addition parts that will need replacing, such as all the rubber seals and gaskets, will be included in each article and update complete with part numbers and whether or not they are still available from either Mercedes-Benz or as an aftermarket item. I am hoping not to have to get too many aftermarket parts, as I wish to keep this car as close to 100% factory as possible.


Trim Removal Begins
Complete Taillight Removal


Remove cover/bulb holder
Unplug cover/bulb holder from electrical system
Trim screws, frame and lens screws (bolts) are different as seen by a screw driver slot is fitted for the chrome trim screws the rest do not. You do not however remove the screw to remove the chrome trim, just the retaining nut.
Taillight frame still in place. This needs to be removed for painting. This piece also holds the tail lens gasket.
Frame and taillight lens removed







Entire taillight assembly removed. Chrome trim directly above opening still in place.





Chrome trim removed above taillight opening. Remaining trim to be removed in a separate post

1 comment:

  1. Hello. Found this write up and its exactly what I am doing to my back end now. Did you happen to ever post a how to on the trim above the liscence plate? that's were I am now and am stuck. I can't see if there are bolts coming through the rear as its double walled and there is no access. Ive got a 1981 380sl, but should be the same. Thanks! Ben

    ReplyDelete