Friday, October 12, 2018

Mercedes W123 and R107 OEM Glass Shortage

Depending where you live, you are likely to need a windshield sooner or later. In the case of several Mercedes-Benz models, that can be a challenge or impossible. 

As of now, there is no OEM W123 windshield glass available from Mercedes. I spoke with the Mercedes-Benz Classic Center in California to acquire a new windshield, and was told it is out of stock and they don't know when it will be made available. They are hoping very soon as they are getting quite a few calls for it. In the meantime, you can get a new windshield from Pilkington Classic for about $220. While I very much respect Pilkington for their glass, it does not supplement the original glass from Mercedes.

When I purchased my 240D in 2015, I needed to get a new windshield and installed Pilkington glass as I was still not certain that I would keep the car long term. Now that I know I am keeping the car, and my three year old windshield is now damaged again from a landscape truck dropping gravel on the highway, I am wishing I could install OEM glass.

With regard to the R107 OEM windshield glass, it is still available at about $500 a copy, but the side door glass is no longer in production and very few new pieces are left.

As it stands, my R107 is at the Mercedes dealer this week being fitted with a genuine Mercedes windshield. Now we can only hope this will last for many years to come, and not succumb to a haphazardly covered load of debris taking flight on the highway.

If you are wanting OEM glass, please contact Mercedes-Benz USA or Europe and express your desire to have the original parts reproduced once again. 





1 comment:

  1. How about the fuel gauge sending unit in the 70's to 1979 R107 mounted in the fuel tank ? ? ? . LONG GONE !

    ReplyDelete